The town of Branford in south central Connecticut on Long Island Sound just east of New Haven Harbor, covers 27.9 square miles and is home to approximately 28,030 residents. Branford was first settled in 1644 by families from Wethersfield and it was incorporated from New Haven in 1685.
Primarily residential today, Branford’s greatest single asset is the shoreline. There are nineteen yacht clubs and marinas along its beaches. A special attraction for boating enthusiasts are the twenty to thirty Thimble Islands just off-shore. According to legend, these islands were a hideout for Captain Kid and other buccaneers.
Town Information Courtesy of The Branford Chamber of Commerce